Sunday, November 4, 2012

Bad Communication in a Bad Economy


As I logged into my computer that morning, the anxiety began as usual. Since two employees had been laid off, everyone was anticipating that their day was coming. I was chatting with my co workers and preparing to get a cup of coffee, when my supervisor called me into the back office. As I walked to the office, I was certain this was going to be my last day at Access Personnel.  Up to this moment there had only been whispers about the financial difficulty the company was facing. They had already asked me to work part time, which caused me to lose my benefits.  After an employee resigned, they asked me to work full time again but without benefits. This couldn’t be the same company that took everyone to the Bahamas and gave out $1500 Christmas bonuses.  After September 11th, it seemed that the temporary jobs business was going the way of the eight track tape.  And today it looked as if I was my walking papers were being processed as I went to speak with my supervisor. 

My position was eliminated that day. I was told that my salary was more than the amount of money I was generating for the business. I accepted that excuse, but even after my departure and subsequent departures of three or four others; I knew that the business was not going to be around for much longer.  The initial anxiety that I felt working in that environment was based on a lack of communication from the managers and supervisors in the company. In my opinion, if the higher ups were honest about the state of the company the level of tension in the office would have been reduced.  Bad communication in a bad economy is not good for employees or managers.

One of the roles of a manager in the workplace is the ability to communicate with their employees. So it should not come as surprise that an employee expects consistent communication (Varelas, 2011). When there are difficulties in an organization, similar to Access Personnel, important communication never comes from the proper representative. Most of what I heard about the demise of my job was from the office gossip(s). Everything there after became a he said, she said story. For managers and companies to counteract the spreading of false information, the truth needs to be revealed (Grinam-Nicholson, 2011). To be successful during a crisis in the workplace transparency is required, according to Tangela Hall, HR Generalist for USAA.  The manager and owners of Access Personnel followed none of these guidelines.  The result was an anxiety, tension filled office space where morale hit rock bottom. 

Highly communicative and collaborative work environments promote productivity and inspiration, but if the communication skills are poor; employees lack enthusiasm (Writing, 2011).  While working at Access, I was not motivated to complete routine tasks because I was very unsure of my position with the company and I wouldn’t be able to grow with a fledgling company. Again my perception was based on observations, but not on solid facts.  If I had been given more pertinent information, would my efforts have been greater? I believe so.  I was employed at the company for more than three years and was vested in my position.  By responding positively to the changes in my works status, I illustrated the characteristics of a team player. But neither I nor others were trusted with the truth about the company.  Even though the information may not have been uplifting, employees would prefer to be kept in the loop.  It is important to make sure information about sensitive subjects, such as layoffs, is communicated directly and clearly (Janet B., 2010). If not the lack of confirmation will cause a decline in the morale of employees.  

In 2011, the economy is not as good as the past, unemployment is at its highest and people are struggling to make ends meet.  Most employed people are trying to retain their positions despite doing the work of three or four others. Take these factors, add bad communication from managers to that scenario and you have successfully created a hostile work environment.  It is necessary to have a good communication plan in times of dismay at the workplace.  Any successful communications plan starts with an explanation of difficulties (Tamburi, 2009). This is an example of transparency in an organization.  Revealing what is happening and how it may affect the employees allows all parties involved to make decisions that will help them succeed knowing tough times may be ahead. When I was laid off from Access, I was not looking for another job. I was satisfied in my position and I was hoping to move up in the organization.  If I had known about the difficulties, I would have been looking for another job, but still willing to move toward company improvement.  An emphasis on the new direction and what the organization may become will comfort current employees (Tamburri, 2009).  Instead of watching their colleagues leave without any explanation, Access could have spoken with the remaining employees to explain where the company was going. The owners were very well aware of the plans they were making, but allowed the employees to speculate about their futures. That was unfair, selfish and made for an unproductive environment.  To prevent this from occurring in the future, there are a few strategies that can be implemented to help communication in a bad economy.

Alastair Summerlee, President of University of Guelph, launched the Rumour Mill to answer questions about things circulating on campus. The way he handled communication while his organization suffered a financial crisis was broken down into ten strategic steps covered in University Affairs by Rosanna Tamburri.  
  1. Communicate directly through a public forum
  2. Use other means to reinforce your message
  3. Spread the word through managers and administrators
  4. Use website  to post videos of public forum
  5. Consider starting a blog
  6. Put a process into action
  7. Manage Expectations
  8. Provide regular updates
  9. Communicate with other stake holders
  10. Communicate with other governing bodies






 
;