Sunday, November 4, 2012

The Best Thing I Ever Ate - Atlanta


As I’ve gotten older, dining out has become a hobby of mine; the ultimate goal being to find something that reminded me of food from my childhood.  Along my journey, I discovered some great tasting things in the city of Atlanta.  As an aspiring foodie, I decided to tap into the taste buds of my friends to find other treasures that I may have missed in the city. So I asked them, “What’s the best thing you ever ate in Atlanta?”

            Shrimp & Chicken Alfredo at Franco’s Restaurant – 1740 Cheshire Bridge Rd. NE, Atl GA
Big shrimp and large pieces of chicken breast over fresh pasta covered in a creamy Alfredo sauce.  A former co-worker said he would drive more than 20 miles to get this dish.  He described the restaurant as “not too pricey and having a wonderful wait staff” that makes the entire experience enjoyable.  As an end to this great meal, he suggested the Tiramisu.  Since living in Atlanta, I have driven past this restaurant several times. Now that I know the best item on the menu, a lunch time stop is being scheduled as I type.

Black Spaghetti at La Pietra Cucina – 1545 Peachtree Street NE, Atlanta GA
The pasta in the entrée is made with ink from a squid, giving it the black color in the name. Along with the pasta and tomato sauce comes rock shrimp, scallions and hot Calabrese sausage. My girlfriend said this was her favorite dish on the menu and the restaurants best seller.  I have had the pleasure of eating at this particular restaurant and I passed on this dish. What in the world was I thinking? This dish sounds absolutely dreamy!

 Jalapeño and Cheddar Cheese Grits at West Egg Café – 1100 Howell Mill Rd, Atlanta GA
Sounds easy enough; put cheese and jalapeños in some grits.  But making grits is an art. They have to be creamy and smooth.  Choose between milk or water and the correct amount of butter.  According to my friend, who dreams of this side dish, West Egg Café must have gotten the recipe right.  I have yet to eat at West Egg but this dish has put them on my radar.

Catfish and Grits at Vickery’s Bar and Grill – 1106 Crescent Ave, Atlanta GA
The catfish in this meal is lightly blackened and served over cheddar grits with chorizo sausage, peppers & onions, topped with a roasted jalapeno & citrus beurre blanc. My most picky eating friend enjoyed this meal and swears by it to this day. Everything sounds delicious except this mysterious beurre blanc ingredient.  I found out it is a hot white butter sauce and as a lover of butter, I am all in.  

Fish Tacos and a side of Corn at Original El Taco – 1186 N. Highland Ave, Atlanta GA
The fried fish tacos are made with jicama-serrano slaw, sprouts, and toasted sunflower seeds on a flour tortilla. Compliment this taco with a side of corn grilled in lime mayo and I bet you will be satisfied with your meal.  This restaurant makes my list of places to eat for the yummy sounding side dish alone. 

Flash Fried South African lobster tail at Chops Lobster Bar – 70 West Paces Ferry Rd, Atlanta GA
This delectable piece of seafood is served with honey mustard and drawn butter.  My co worker has eaten this meal quite frequently and gave me the following description, while wiping the drool from his mouth.  “At first glance it looks like a chicken finger but when you put some on your fork, dip it in sauce, and put it in your mouth, the delicate lobster flavor as well as the sauce makes you long for more, even while you're still enjoying your current bite. It's WONDERFUL!” 

After polling the room and getting such lovely suggestions, my dinner schedule has instantly become full for the next few weeks.  I still have a few nights open to eat even more, so tell me what is the best thing you’ve ever ate?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
;