Sunday, November 4, 2012

Bowl Championship Series vs. Football Championship Subdivision


Let me start by saying that I am huge football fan who was taught the game by a father who wanted boys but had all girls. My earliest influence in life was Lawrence Taylor. I wanted to tackle people and take them down in the way that he did.  I broke my first bone in sixth grade playing football. For clarification, the other player was in my way so I ran over her. 

Over the years, my Sundays were filled with hours of football, but my Saturdays not so much.  In the past, I only watched college football, when I was in college.  I would get up on Saturday morning, get dressed and walk across the street to Bridgeforth Stadium at James Madison University. That was all the college football I knew or wanted to know. It was what you did in college; support your team whether good or bad. I knew several guys on the team and I was there to cheer them on.  After college, my interest was no more.  However, after dating a college football fanatic for several years, I have totally submerged myself into the chaotic and sometimes dramatic world of Bowl Championship Series football.

One Saturday after slaving over a keyboard, I came home to news of my Alma mater winning the 2004 Division I-AA National Football Championship (now known as the Football Championship Subdivision or FCS).  I was elated and almost jumped through the roof, but I felt I missed the best part of the win: the entire season.  I had ignored college football because it just wasn’t significant to me anymore, until that day.  After that win, I began to watch how college football unfolds every season. I noticed how passionate people in Georgia behave about “their” college teams.  The flags on cars and houses, the big stickers on back windows; college football was serious business. I had been missing out for years, but now I understood the pride and excitement felt after winning a championship. 

I made a conscious decision that I was going to learn as much as I could about college football. And the first thing I had to attack were the letters and numbers that my boyfriend continued to toss around. He frequently referred to the BCS, SEC, Big 12, Pac -10, Big Ten and ACC.  I recognized the ACC as the Atlantic Coast Conference only because I grew up a Duke Basketball fan.  I had to assume that they had football teams as well.  So I took to the internet for my in depth research, starting with this BCS thing that I heard people complain about all the time. 

For people who have been living under a rock as I was, the BCS or Bowl Championship Series determines each year which college team is the best in the country. There are a few factors that decide who gets to play in this championship.  First, the top two teams get automatic berths into the National Championship game.  So if by the end of November, your team is not ranked number one or two; the national championship is not in your future.  Secondly, only certain conferences are guaranteed berths to the BCS games. So if your team is not a part of the ACC, Big 12, Big East, Big Ten, Pac-10 or the SEC, again there is no national championship in your future.  I didn’t understand why the BCS/Division I schools couldn’t create some sort of playoff system? I watched the NCAA basketball tournament every year and that seems to work well.

These first two rules alone narrow the field greatly and also saturate the BCS top ten with certain conferences.  The rankings of each team are determined by the AP poll, Coaches poll and a computer average. I know that reads like a lot of jibber jabber, but these rules and calculations are responsible for millions of dollars being awarded to colleges every year.  In my BCS virgin mind, there had to be a simpler way.  

I asked my friend Dominick Brady what he thought about a playoff system and he denied that there was a need for one.  The self professed UGA/SEC football fanatic feels that a team’s season is the playoff.

“Every game means everything, every week. It’s a roller coaster and I enjoy the ride.”

I was convinced that his love for the SEC and the fact that a school in that conference has won the national championship four out of the last five years jaded his view of the BCS.  He assured me that was not the case at all.

“'I’d be a fan of the BCS anyway because in the FBS (Football Bowl Subdivision), the season is so much fun.  Every week is do or die.  Each week all of the teams in the top 25 have some sort of shot to make it into the mix. All they have to do is win.”

After talking to him about the BCS, I started to rethink my views on the FCS playoff. The FCS currently has 125 teams that are eligible to participate in the playoff. Every week the teams are ranked in a top 25 poll based on their weekly performance.  This is very similar to the BCS format but at the end of the season a field of 20 teams participates in the playoffs. It is a win or lose situation; win and you move on, lose and you go home.  There are several schools in Georgia who could possibly be a part of these playoffs. And now that Georgia State has a football team and Kennesaw State following them in 2014, who is to say that a FCS national championship would not be in the future for the state of Georgia.

Based on popularity, the BCS is well known and generates the most money, but the FCS gives more teams an opportunity to bring home a national championship and bragging rights. In your opinion, which system do you think would work better for college football?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
;